Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Captain's bLog 0921.10

I have a lot of work this week, but I do hope to have a few articles for Space: 1970 posted over the next few days.

• Thanks to a generous reader, I now have all of the Man From Atlantis episodes to watch. With my recent acquisition of the complete Fantastic Journey, I now have that much more 70s sci-fi to write about!

• Speaking of Man From Atlantis, I was at a small comics convention on Sunday, and found three issues of Marvel's MFA comic in a bargain bin for a buck! Scripts by Bill Mantlo, nice stylized art by Frank Springer and Frank Robbins... I'm really looking forward to reading them.

• I also earned some extra money at the con selling some of my own books, so I decided to finally order the Genesis II, Planet Earth and Strange New World MOD discs from Warners Archive. Unfortunately, I discovered that the WB online store won't accept debit cards or Paypal, and since I won't use a credit card anymore in protest of the banks' extortionate practices (and don't even have one at the moment), it appears that I won't be getting any of the Warner Archives stuff for the foreseeable future. (I looked up the same discs on Amazon, but they were way more expensive.)

Oh well. Anyway, stay tuned.....

12 comments:

  1. Chris, I've bought a few things from Warner Archive and I'm pretty sure I used my debit card. Did you try entering it as a Visa? If that doesn't work, send me a private message and I'll see if I can help you out...

    jason(at)jasonbennion.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Man From Atlantis as a kid. One of my school teachers/camp counselors, Flip Reade (at Meadow Oaks in Calabasas, CA) was in the episode where the MFA swims down to an alternate universe, where there are a world of people with very white skin.

    Sometimes life is ironic and tragic - a few years later, Flip was lost at sea while scuba diving.. But to this day, I haven't seen his episode again yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jason, but I tried several times, and when I finally checked out their FAQ, it explicitly said that they were "no longer" accepting debit cards. So, maybe they did - but they don't right now.

    And, in any case, I decided to spend the money on some graphic novels instead, and already placed that order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank Springer and Frank Robbins are criminally under rated as artists. I loved what Robbins did on Invaders especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to more articles on Man From Atlantis (which I saw as a kid) and The Fantastic Journey, which I discovered through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brian, you know I still remember attending the memorial service at Meadow Oaks for Flip. I knew he was in an episode of Barney Miller but i never had heard about him being in MFA, i'd very much like to see that someday! Sorry you're having trouble hooking up all those warner archive shows, hopefully someday you'll manage to get your hands on them. The series I'd like to see Chris review from the 70's is Cliffhangers, particularly the Dracula series......man I loved that when I was a kid. Michael Nouri, I watched some of it on Youtube and it was crazy bananas seeing it again after all these years!
    Dusty Abell

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember CLIFFHANGERS! very well, and actually know where I can get copies of the show once I scrape up a few bucks, so... yeah, I'll write about it here one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dusty, yeah, Flip was in Barney Miller and MFA. He also did a commercial for Sizzler where he was in a rain slicker and eating ribs ("Dem Bones, Dem Bones"). So funny the random things we remember...

    I totally remember Cliffhangers. What a flashback!

    I'd love to see a big budget film today where someone goes into the future and it ends up looking exactly like we pictured it back in the '70s. Lots of feathered hair, velour jumpsuits, earth colored decorating, zigzag stripes, beanbags, chrome and brass railings..

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS. Dusty, I looked up the MFA episode with Flip. It was apparently called "Crystal Water, Sudden Death".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe you could get a Visa/Mastercard debit card. These are identical to credit cards as far as buying things online, but like a debit card they don't give you any credit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Visa debit card. The site wouldn't accept it. Thanks, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The "Man from Atlantis" comic book series ran for 7 issues - with number 7 ending as a continued story.

    ReplyDelete